Training< Back to Events
Vanessa Smith PilatesMatwork
Time: 19th Mar 2021 6:30pm - 26th Jun 2022 10:30am
Venue: 71 Oxford Street Glasgow, G5 9ER
Course Director: Vanessa Smith
This Pilates Matwork Teacher Training will last 13 months beginning in March 2021 and ending in June 2022 with examinations.
The course will be structured over 14 months, during weekend sessions on Friday evenings, Saturdays and Sundays constituting a total of 200 hours of contact time either with the course director, or other visiting tutors. In between contact times the other tutors and the course director will be available for questions and feedback via phone and email.
Students who wish to continue with training to teach apparatus Pilates will be able to do so, the timing for this will be confirmed.
Course fee is inclusive of two mat class per week at Vanessa Smith Pilates studio. If trainees are from outside the Glasgow area, they are expected to keep up their personal practice with their local teacher. The course fee does not include Pilates Foundation trainee membership, trainee insurance, examination fees and Pilates classes outside of the agreed limit.
Admission to the course will be by written application followed by an interview for suitable applicants. Applicants will need to prove their experience of at least 25 hours of Pilates classes (not home practice), during the 6 months prior to course commencement. If applicants have no background in movement 50 hours are required. Applicants should demonstrate a commitment to the course, home study, and a good level of communication skills.
Prior to starting the course, trainees will be required to have current First Aid certification.
Participants will be continually assessed through ongoing essays, informal question and answer sessions, written tests, teaching practice, direct feedback and feedback via phone and email.
- Principles and Fundamentals of Pilates
- Pilates mat repertoire - classical and evolved
- Pilates using small equipment
- Pilates session objectives and planning
- Human anatomy and Physiology
- Movement analysis
- Teaching methods and skills
- Legal requirements
- Business and management skills
- Required texts and additional resources
- Final assessment
- Back injuries and problems
- Ante and postnatal
- Limb injuries and problems
- Common conditions (eg: arthritis and osteoporosis)
- Injury prevention
- First Aid
Hours of Assisted Teaching and Study
- Lectures - 200 hours
- Practical repertoire classes - 100 hours
- Observing and assisting Matwork classes - 50 hours
- Home study/practical revision 200hours
- Case studies - 45 hours
Written work and Examination
Hours of class participation, class observation and assistance will be logged in course books provided.
Completion of one case study
Practical exam and written theory exam
£3350 to be paid by instalment.
A non-refundable deposit of £350 is to be paid by 28th February to secure your application.
Course fees exclude:
- Pilates Foundation Trainee membership (£126 at time of writing)
- Pilates Foundation final examination fee
- First Aid certification fees
- Trainee Balens insurance required throughout training (£22 per year at time of writing)
- Pilates Foundation Matwork Handbook - £31 including digital version and postage
Please contact Vanessa Smith for an application;